Višegrad (Visegrad) was settled in the Eastern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina, into Drina river valley.
First time it was mentioned 1407 as a property of the ruling house of Pavlović. Together with the medieval Dobrun City.
On the top of the hill, near Drina bridge are visible traces of the old city, named Pavlovina. (named by Duke Pavle Radenković)
Ruins are located at two parts „Gornji grad“ and „Donji grad“.
At the bottom of the old city you could see almost unreachable tower known as „The Tower of Kraljević Marko“ which was used as watchtower.
It seems as round construction 8m tall, but in Turkish Regency covered with stone to prevent from gathering and hiding in it.
Famous turkish traveler Evliya Celebi wrote about Mehmet Paša Sokolović in 1577. Celebi was writting about constructing town and city above it, named as Višegrad. Turkish Regency ruled a city from 1462 until 1878 till The Berlin Congress and starting of Austro-Hungarian’s Regency.
Austro-Hungarians built water system, introduced land-registry, built narrow-gauge railway and other public buildings in a plan of urbanazing the area.
After the First World War Višegrad stood in Yugoslavia as part of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The First World War and also The Second World War heavily destroyed and damaged Višegrad and its buildings including the Visegrad’s bridge.
At present time, Višegrad is part of Republic of Srpska, one of two entities in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
You can go Visegrad with bus from East Sarajevo Bus Station. Way is 120 km and 2 and half hour. One way ticket costs 15KM.
Bridge on Drina River (Drina Bridge)
The most famous turkish architect of that time, Koca Mimar Sinan built the bridge by order of Grand Vizier Mehmet Paša Sokolović in period from 1571 to 1577.
The bridge consits 11 arches with mild ascend towards the middle section fully length of 179,50m, 15,40m high above the river and 6,30m wide with descending ramp on the left bank.
Above the 6th pillar there are extensions from both sides of the bridge. Also in the middle of the bridge there was a sofa, designed and built for passangers to rest.
Across the sofa, there was stone portal with two plates made of white marble with verses of poet in the name of construtor and the year of construction on Arabic alphabet and the Jali naskh script.
At present time, the bridge is under the protection of UNESCO list of world cultural heritage as a bridge with big cultural impact and representative of classical Ottoman style of that time.
Andrić-grad or Andrictown (also known as Stonetown) was seatted on a small peninsula between Rzava river and Drina river in Višegrad.
Originally it was created by the idea of serbian film director Emir Kusturica, dedicated to bosnian famous writer and Nobel Prize winner, Ivo Andrić.
Emir Kusturica represented his idea through different styles of architectural environments. From the Byzantine period through Ottoman period, and Austro-Hungarian Period, but through Renaissance and Classicism as well.
Kusturica wanted to show what Višegrad could become if the builders built it in their time.
As caught between past and all possibilities, as a touristic, cultural, administrative and educational area.
Constrution started in 2012 and officially opened in 2014.
Some of main objects in Andrictown are: Ivo Andrić’s institute with a centre of Slavic languages, Fine art Academy, Town Hall, multiplex cinema, Renaissance theatre.
Drina River Canyon
River Drina consists from two rivers, Piva and Tara, total length 341km, flowing to north until Sava river.
There are 3 hydro power plants, built at two of total three lakes on Drina river.
Drina river was known as wild river. But mostly tourists visiting are floathing with boats and organized cruises on artifical lakes.
The biggest lake’s area is 54km. Few kilometers away from it, is enetering into comlete wilderness with no roads, revealed only by few fishermen and farmhouses.
From the deepest parts of Canyon, between mountains Zvijezda and Tara, the some peaks rise over 1.000m above the sea level.
Area is completely surrounded by pine forest, as natural habitat of many wild animals.
Drina river is considered as one of the richest fish rivers.
Visegrad Touristic Railway
Austro-Hungarian line from East Sarajevo to Višegrad as last station in Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. Builded from 1903 to 1906 as one of the most expensivest railways in the world at that time.
Price was 450.000 gold crowns per kilometre, in total 75.000.000 gold crowns, or 1 kilo of pure gold for 1 meter of railway.
That time it was a strategic move for linking Višegrad as border between Austro-Hungary Monarchy and Serbia.
First train passed on the railway at July 4th 1906 from Sarajevo to Dobrun, in same year to Vardište.
At January 25th 1925 railway train passed from Vardište to Užice in Serbia.
Railway closed because of unprofitability of the government. First in 1974 a line to Serbia, then a line with Sarajevo in 1978.
Nowadays you can organize train tour from Višegrad to Mokra Gora.